Who says it's a bad thing when the cup is half empty?

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Fruit Cocktail

Did you know that Acetaminophen can cause liver damage? Likely not because the freakin' print on the freakin' bottle is so freakin' tiny NO ONE can read it without a freakin' magnifying glass!

I knew it though, because I read the WARNING labels on all prescription and non-prescription medications I take. I worry that, if I don't, I might miss something. This has been my SOP since a near-fatal accident that could have happened to me but actually didn't. But it could have.

I have a social anxiety disorder that, on rare occasion, requires medication. The drug of choice is called Alprazolam, aka Xanax. One day, I decided to carefully review all the prescription and non-prescription medications in my cupboard to determine which could be used with alcohol and which couldn't. Alprazolam can be used with alcohol (although alcohol may intensify the effects), but it should not ever be used in conjunction with eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice. Huh what???

Thinking my local pharmacy must have accidentally stuck that sticker on there, I decided to research on the internet. Sure enough, Alprazolam and grapefruit are a big no-no as a morning cocktail. Who woulda thunk?

Now I'm wondering if there are other drugs that should not be combined with other foods or drinks (besides alcohol). Like an acne medication that should not be taken while eating spinach, or a heart medication that has the opposite effect intended when combined with carrots, carrot juice or carrot cake. What could possibly be in a grapefruit that makes it, specifically, a very bad thing to ingest when there is alprazolam in your system?

I really feel like I had a close call with that one. I mean, I don't really take Xanax very often, maybe once or twice a year; and I seldom eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. Still, it could have happened! For an unknown moment, I was living on the edge!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to wash my meds for paranoia down with a marguerita.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home