Who says it's a bad thing when the cup is half empty?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Sticks and Stones

I'm learning to play pool. Shoot pool, I should say. I figure I already play golf and darts - why not add yet another male-oriented sport to my pretty handbag of talents?

In this particular "sport," there is actually a rule that states you must have one foot on the ground if you are using the table as support. So it's not uncommon to see people leaning chest-down on the table or resting one hip on the edge as they line up their next shot. As long as one toe of one foot remains in contact with the floor, the entire rest of your body can be on the table. Is that a great sport, or what?

Clearly there are no concerns within the school of pool that a regulation table is not going to hold the weight of an adult human being. So why, at the bar last night, when I am resting one butt-cheek on the edge of the table (revealing a length of nylon-clad leg) and my gentleman friend is resting one butt-cheek on the edge of the table (revealing a length of jean-clad leg), would someone even bother to come over and ask my gentleman friend to please not sit on the table?

Did this person think the table, the very one intended to take the weight of someone leaning into his shot, could not possibly support two butt-cheeks at once? Oh, come on! I've been in that bar when some 250 pound guy was using the edge of the table to support his belly for each and every shot! Does one extra-large sized tummy really weigh more than two slim-trim butt-cheeks, albiet each shaped a little different than the other?

And why did he ask the man but not the woman? I suspect the jet-black nylons had something to do with it, but I can't say for certain. I know they had something to do with why my friend was sitting on the table in the first place...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home