Who says it's a bad thing when the cup is half empty?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

All Creatures Great and Small

I was just thinking this a.m. that I've had nothing worth blogging about lately. I value my readers' time, so unless I have something of interest to say (see my blog on Golden Showers) something that requires I, first, bring it to the attention of others and, second, help guide their thoughts regarding it, I stay out of the blogarena.

For instance, my street is under construction, has been for 3 years. When it is done, it will be great - I will get to work (5 miles from my house) in 15 minutes instead of 45. In the meantime, I live with the daily sight of construction workers at every intersection along the way. I, of course, being concerned for the welfare of others, always proceed with caution when passing by these hardy icons of working class America. (What do you think they think about all day, just standing there? Do you think they are thinking about Golden Showers? I know, I know, sidetrip! Back on track, now, though)

So, how can I not be a little concerned when I pass one of these intersections of a morning, there are no workers in sight, but there is a hard hat laying in the middle of the road? Yeah, that's what I thought...

That was a few months back, though. Today I got an email that left me strangely distressed, even though it doesn't involve a hat with no construction worker underneath it. Background first - we are in the middle of our giving campaign. My division is hosting a charity function tomorrow at which many items of great interest will be auctioned off. These are always fun; people think the strangest items are worth something to others, and generally at least one other person thinks so too, and bids on it. For instance, we are auctioning off a snowball party. (Odds are that at least half my readers are going, "Cool! How much?")

The email, however, isn't about a snowball party. It isn't about winning the use of a snow-making machine, having a bunch of your friends over in the middle of a hot Seattle summer (July 29th through the 30th, unless summer arrives later than usual), and making hay (or snow, in this case) while the sun shines.

It is about a cow. Yes, a cow. They are auctioning off a cow. Specifically, the cow below:



Does this seem right? That, at work, I am encouraged to give towards charity by purchasing a cow to butcher? EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!

How can I possibly work now??? My earthsoul is in huge distress!! I need to go home and caress the trees in my yard, or something!! Blech!!!

Or I could go put together the menu for Thanksgiving - did I mention that we are having Prime Rib, Turkey AND Ham?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We are NOT having turkey. Wench.

10:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To b ;) Ha ha ha ha ha!

To Joderita: Yes, we are having turkey, but only under duress. In other words, Amy insists.

11:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home