Who says it's a bad thing when the cup is half empty?

Friday, October 26, 2007

Can't stop thinking about the goats

I had a crappy night last night, so I decided to watch the
  • goat video
  • again. Can I just say, "HYS-TER-I-CAL!"

    What was God thinking on this one? I'd like to know. In fact, that may be my first question when I get to Heaven. "Lord, could you explain the fainting goats? Was that a creation you made to provide food for lazy carnivores?"

    Seriously. The fainting goat species totally defies the principle Survival of the Fittest. The goat not only falls over but it turns to expose its underbelly.

    Think about it. You are a lazy lion; you can 1. chase a gazelle, or you can 2. say "boo" to a fainting goat. In fact, you can say "boo" to an entire herd of fainting goats and eat for a month.

    How did this species not go extinct a few million years ago?

    True, those kids who survive being eaten eventually grow up and learn to cope with this strange fear instinct by stiffening their legs. Yeah, that's a heck of a lot better. So, now the lazy lion has to actually knock the goat over - big frikkin' deal. This mean the adult fainting goat will survive being eaten by any lion who doesn't want to lift the fork and knife.

    To be honest, I'm glad to learn about the fainting goat, and not just because it gives me something as funny to watch as the Manic Monday Morning Bunny. I also like that it defies the laws of nature by surviving while doing the exact opposite of "Fight or Flight." This means there's hope for those of us who live out of step with the rest of the world. As long as there are no hungry lions close by.

    This reminds me of what forest rangers tell you to do if you are approached by a bear. You are supposed to roll up into a ball and lay there. Yeah, no. Sorry, but I am gonna run like hell, then go home and work out the residual fear by proving my dominance over a herd of goats.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home