Who says it's a bad thing when the cup is half empty?

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Why The Turtle Crossed The Road

I was recently challenged to come up with the Most Romantic Place I'd Ever Been. And guess what? I can't think of a single one! I am trying to determine if that is because:
1. I've never been anywhere with anyone who fostered a sense of romance
2. I've not been to any romantic places
3. I'm not capable of romantic feelings

Wow, put like that, it's a bit depressing...

But NOT the point of this blog. The point of this blog is to assert that I do, INDEED, have a sense of direction. Hold on! I know you are all going, "What the hell is she talking about?? She can get lost walking from the living room to the bathroom!!" And that is true.

However, in reviewing herstory, I appear to have emotions-more-closely-linked-to-romance-than-any-other-feelings more often when there is water involved. This is interesting to me because I already know I was a sea turtle in one of my past lives. I was a rabbit that got eaten by a hawk in another.

(Pst! Vicky! Focus!!) Oh, yeah...yes, I am directionally challenged. I ride the same elevator every day, get on and off at the same floors, and still turn the wrong direction when I get off.

I take the same route to and from work and other places and when the seasons change, I lose my way.

I miss my own driveway 72% of the time. Ok, I made the statistic up but who the hell else misses their driveway AT ALL?

Yet, when driving down a road that is anywhere near the ocean, I can point and say, the ocean is just over those trees. Cool, eh? Near as I can tell, this is worth nothing more than a party trick, kind of like being able to feel and point out a gray hair on the back of my head. Still, it made me think and I've concluded that the ocean fills my soul with something as big and as small as the sound it makes.

The Bay Cottage, the backyard of Pueo House, the Lighthouse at Kiln Point, the magnificent Sand Dunes. I could stand for hours and stare at the ocean or any body of water that is destined for the sea. Is that romantic? Maybe, maybe not, but my Honu soul now longs to be somewhere other than under these flourescent lights.

I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
In his octopus' garden in the shade

I'd ask my friends to come and see
An octopus' garden with me
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade.

We would be warm below the storm
In our little hideaway beneath the waves
Resting our head on the sea bed
In an octopus' garden near a cave

We would sing and dance around
because we know we can't be found
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade

We would shout and swim about
The coral that lies beneath the waves
(Lies beneath the ocean waves)
Oh what joy for every girl and boy
Knowing they're happy and they're safe
(Happy and they're safe)

We would be so happy you and me
No one there to tell us what to do
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden with you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most mornings I also find myself staring at a body of water that is destined eventually for the sea; then I add a splash of color and send it merrily on its way with a quick flush. Ah, good times, good times.

8:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Father, go on with you! Tis a surprise you don't ever fall in :)

So you got the damn thing working again, eh? And I don't mean the toilet...

9:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home