Who says it's a bad thing when the cup is half empty?

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Everyone's a Little Bit Racist

Linda and I discussed amongst ourselves, and it turns out we are prejudiced. But Avenue Q says that's ok, so I'm good with it :-)

"What the hell do you mean?" you say. "You and Linda are the least bigoted people I know!" No, it's true. We are, and we're down with it.

"Let me esplain." When we receive an email from someone who wants to get to know us better, and they cannot string a single coherent sentence together, our fingers move independent of our brain and slam down on the delete key. A cyber wave "bye bye!" and without a moment's hesitation.

What can I say? I'm well aware that the ability to write eloquently is no real indication of intelligence, good personality, physical beauty or even financial stability. And yet, when someone says, "I lik you profile, I am no bum, was daten a gril about 3 months she brok my hart but you look sweat wanna meat?" my mind instantaneously categorizes and files such in the mental circular bin.

Which is strange to me as I couldn't tell you the difference between an adjective or a conjunctive verb, or name any part of speech, to be honest. Truly and sincerely. For some strange reason, though, I can structure a sentence a-okay.

I think, when I was "lurnin me some english" 35 years ago, my brain absorbed all the rules, then discarded the incidentals. So, I'm left with the ability to write well without really knowing why or how. The truth is a well-turned phrase feels good. Know what I mean?

And I actually like words. Take, for instance, ablutions, languid, ambivalent, defenestrate, and treatises. The other day, I was talking to the youngest munchkin, and she used the word "oscillate." Isn't that a lovely word?

It's a curse, I know, and I shouldn't judge other people by their (in)ability to write well, but I do. So, if you are going to reply to this boring blog, please be sure to include some interesting words...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are positively the quintessence of logophilia.

1:20 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

you rite good, pritty layday maybe 1 dai u n me go out 2 c a muvie?

4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home