Who says it's a bad thing when the cup is half empty?

Friday, December 05, 2008

Makin' a list, checkin' it twice

I'm pretty sure I am not on the "nice" list. If I am, I likely won't be after this blog...

It's that time of year for making item-specific lists. Now doesn't that just take the fun out of gift-giving?? I mean, for christsake, what is wrong with putting a little thought into what you are getting people??

I'll tell you what's wrong with it:
1. Time
2. Money
3. Sheer numbers

We simply do not have the time to think of a unique and/or meaningful gift for every single person who means something, anything to us. AND if we DID have the time, we WOULDN'T have the MONEY...unless you are a developer for some huge software company based in Redmond, Washington.

So, I'm gonna help you out.

If you are a kid, ask your parent for a can of worms. My oldest angelina did this one year and it made me laugh so hard I bought her everything else on her list.

If you are an adult, DON'T ask for world peace. That's smarmy and everyone knows it's code for "I want the best you can give but wish to look humble to you." It's overused and no one will fall for it.

If you are trying desperately to come up with unique gifts, you're in luck - the irish lass and I have plenty of good bad ideas, and she has provided a doozy this holiday season. Check it out...

How to make bedroom slippers out of maxi pads (see pic below):

You need four maxi pads to make a pair.
Two of them get laid out flat, for the foot part.
The other two wrap around the toe area to form the top.
Tape or glue each side of the top pieces to the bottom of the foot part.
Decorate the tops with whatever you desire, silk flowers (this is most aesthetically appealing), etc.

These slippers are:
* Soft and Hygienic
* Non-slip grip strips on the soles
* Built in deodorant feature keeps feet smelling fresh
* No more bending over to mop up spills
* Disposable and biodegradable
* Environmentally safe
* Three convenient sizes: (1.) Regular, (2.) Light and (3.) Get out the Sand Bags.



What's cool about these is they resolve the issues of time, money and numbers. One jumbo pack of maxi pads runs less than $20 and will make enough slippers to outfit all your family and friends. Average time to make a pair runs 3.7 minutes. And different varieties have a cool pink or blue strip down the middle so you can color-coordinate for the recipient. Neato, eh?

Of course, there are lots of good bad ideas out there. Send me yours and the irish lass and I will review and pass along accordingly. And remember, when you are down to your last buck fifty and your electricity is about to be turned off, buy some brewskies and make your own garden lanterns.

These good bad ideas brought to you by the irish and thus (environmentally) green.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother used to always answer "a bit of peace and quiet" whenever we asked her the standard question. So last year I bought her a charity donation card for world peace and a pair of ear plugs. I suspect that this year I won't be getting all of the items on my list.

8:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home